EZip 500 stopped working

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kevinh7000 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

kevinh7000

Hello. I bought an EZIP E-500 back in 2-11-2010. it has been working great and I enjoy it very much. 2 days ago, I was riding it and I put it back in the garage to charge it. The next time I tried to ride it, it does not work. When I pull the trottle, it flashes between full, medium and low. I am not sure what the problem is. I also notice that the charger is always showing the indicator light of green. even when unplugged from the scooter. Not sure what to do at this point and will take any help I can get. Thanks

jeremy

Kevin,

It’s hard to say what’s wrong with your scooter without seeing it in person, but it sounds like a bad charger. To know for sure, you’d need a volt meter to test the voltage coming out of the charger. It should read between 25V-27V. A bad charger won’t read anything. And you should be getting a red light when you plug it in to the batteries. Even if the batteries are fully charged, it should switch to red for a few minutes, then switch back to green.

You said it shows power lights that flash between low – medium – high when you turn the throttle. This is normal whenever you operate the scooter (the lights will change as you pull voltage from the motor). But when you release the throttle, the lights should return to one position to give you a rough idea of charge. Does the scooter move at all when you turn the throttle? What level is showing when you release the throttle? If there was some power left, the scooter should move. Unless you absolutely drained it the last time it was riden.

Another possibility is a loose connection. Have you made sure all the connectors are tight? If you look inside the battery compartment, there’s a “trap door” in front of the battery that’s held in place by a couple of screws. Inside, you’ll find the controller and all the connectors. Everything should be securely connected and in place.

The last option would be bad batteries or fried controller. But since the scooter is relatively new, I would venture to say the batteries are fine. Batteries usually don’t just stop working. They would get weaker and weaker, until they eventually died. Or, if they were left sitting for a long time (6+ months), they could quit working altogether. The controller is a possibility, but you should go through the other options first…

Sounds like the charger isn’t charging the batteries. I’m assuming the scooter isn’t moving because the batteries are too low. This would be my educated guess, but it’s impossible to know for sure without testing. If you have access to a volt meter, this would be the best way to know for sure…

jeremy

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY:

Forgot about another possible issue. The brakes have a power cutout built inside. It’s an extra safety feature that cuts power to the motor anytime you hit the brakes. If this switch has been damaged (occurs quite often from dropping the scooter) or it’s not working correctly, it could be cutting power to the motor. This could also explain why the scooter isn’t working.

If you trace the line from the brake handle into the controller compartment (described above) and disconnect the connector, it will bypass the cutout. If this is the problem, the scooter should work fine after you disconnect this wire. Then, you can order another brake inhibitor if you choose… or operate without it…

admin
    Keymaster

Thanks for the help, I had a problem with ours not getting power at the throttle, and it really had me scratching my head. After putting a meter on the battery, charger, lookin at the throttle, looking at the harness, I went to your blog, read it, soooo I traced the cable from the brake cable to the controller, unplugged it, and wah-la it worked like a charm….Again big-help I owe ya one.

admin
    Keymaster

pacelite 737 problem , just bought had not be driven, battery charge indicator shows full charge. if you lift up back wheel and turn throttle back wheel spins,and responds to throttle movement, but the moment you sit on the scooter, the throttle no longer engages the moter. charge indicator lights will blink and sometimes the the middle of the 3 charge indicators will stay lit, than blanks out completly, Once you turn off the key and turn off the on off switch, then turn on key and on switch again and back end of the scooter , the back wheels will respond again but again once you sit on it the problem re-occurs

admin
    Keymaster

iM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE ABOVE PROBLEM WERE WHEN YOU FIRST POWER UP THE REAR WHEEL RESPONDS WHEN YOU LIFT THE BACK END UP AND HOLD. bUT IT ONLY RESPONDS ONCE AS YOU RELEASE AND TRY TO TURN THE THROTTLE AGAIN THERES NO RESPONSE. bUT IF YOU SHUT IT RIGHT OF ALL POWER THAT IS AND TURN EVERYTHING BACK ON IT WILL RESPOND ONCE AGAIN WEIRD. iM REALLY SCRATCHEN MY HEAD ON THIS ONE. oH AAND ONE MORE THING i HAVEN’T TRIED TO SIT ON IT AND TRY THIS BUT IF I LEAVE IT ON THE GROUNG THE TIRE THAT IS AND GIVE IT THROTTLE THE FIRST TIME AFTER POWERING IT UP IT GOES TO START BUT JUST CAN’T ITS ONLY WHEN THE REAR WHEEL IS HELD UP DOES IT TURN AND IT ONLY DOES THAT THE ONE TIME WHEN FIRST POWERED UP. HELP PLEASE.THANKS IN ADVANCE ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED AND FOR THE RECORD I AM PRETTY HANDY WITH TOOLS SO TAKING APART SOMETHING SHOULDN’T BE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GUIDANCE THANKS MIKE.MYKLTHEBRAIN@HOTMAIL.COM

admin
    Keymaster

Can a electric scooter show a full charge and still not have enough power to run scooter moter? The battery shows a full charge and will operate the scooter lights but when you turn throttle wheels will spin for a second and than nothing.

I believe the batteries were in this new scooter for 5 years or more without use.

jeremy

Sorry about the late response, but it’s very difficult (and time-consuming) to answer all these random troubleshooting questions. You’ll get a much faster response if you actually call us and talk to someone in person. Plus, none of you registered for our forum and all your posts are showing up as “Anonymous”. I have no idea who I’m talking to or if the earlier posts are related to the newer posts. Create an account and start a new topic!

For the last poster (not sure if you posted earlier), if the batteries were in the scooter for 5 years without use, they’re definitely bad. If the chain was too tight or rusted, it could cause the motor to quit spinning, but I’m 99% positive the batteries are bad if they’ve been sitting around that long. Keep in mind, the battery guages on these scooters aren’t very accurate. If you have access to a volt meter, the battery should read close to 26V…

Anonymous

I have a ezip 750 and whenever I turn on the scooter the red light only show up. And when I twist the throttle the red light will slowly disappear. I charged the battery from red to green, I'm pretty sure the motor is fine. Also, when I turn from "Off" to "On" and "On" to "Off", I do not hear the little flickering noise like I used to, what's wrong with my scooter??

jeremy

I have a ezip 750 and whenever I turn on the scooter the red light only show up. And when I twist the throttle the red light will slowly disappear. I charged the battery from red to green, I'm pretty sure the motor is fine. Also, when I turn from "Off" to "On" and "On" to "Off", I do not hear the little flickering noise like I used to, what's wrong with my scooter??

How old is the battery? It's possible the batteries are bad. Do you have a volt meter? They should test around 26V. If you have a local battery supply store, you could easily bring the battery to be tested. And while you're at it, bring the charger too (just to be sure).

If it's not the battery or charger, it could be the throttle or controller. But until you verify the batteries are good, it's pointless to troubleshoot these components…

admin
    Keymaster

CLOSING THIS TOPIC:

If you have a question about an EZIP E-500 scooter, please post it here:

http://www.eco-wheelz.com/forum/ezip-electric-scooters/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.